The Nazir Hoosein Memorial Drive
The famous Himalayan Rally held in the 80s organized by Mr. Nazir Hoosein who was singularly responsible for putting India on the International Motorsports Map with this world renowned rally. Nazir Hoosein, founder member of his club IARC, past president FMSCI (The Federation of Motor Sports clubs of India) organized the famous Himalayan Rallies from 1980 to 1990. These 11 editions put India firmly on the International motorsports map. The Himalayan rallies boasted of a record number of 100+ entries in each of the years and had around 20-30 foreign entries. The rally from 1985 onward was part of the Asia Pacific Rally Championship.
Mr. Hoosein sadly passed away last year. His founder club IARC in Mumbai, his friends from overseas and some of us participants fondly remember the wonderful 80s of The Himalayan Rally. Since the 40th Anniversary of the 2nd Himalayan Rally falls on 8th November 2021, our Team of friends have proposed “The Nazir Hoosein Memorial Drive of the 1981 Himalayan Rally Route”. It is a Non-Competitive Event and hence not a speed event of any sort. This drive is a tribute to the great man and organizer par excellence.
Salient Features of the Event are as follows – 1) The date 0f 8th Nohvember coincides with the start of the 1981 Himalayan Rally which started in Mumbai on 8/11/1981. The memorial drive in Nov 2021 will start from Delhi with the Memorial Dinner and Get together at Delhi on 7 th Nov.2021.
2) The route through states of Uttarkhand and Himachal pradesh , will have overnight halts at Nainital ,Ranikhet , Mussoorrie , Theog & Manali . It will cover over 2000km of these mountain roads with all of them in the lower reaches of the Himalayan range.
3) Event will start at 0800 on 8th Nov 2021 and return back to Delhi on 13th Nov 2021.
4) We are looking forward to giving the participants a wonderful drive experience through the old Himalayan rally route, scenic picturesque stops, bonfire get-togethers at most night halts, AV presentation on the Himalayan Rallies of the bygone era. A fabulous holiday plus a fun drive post Covid to drive through 3 high mountain passes, see the flora and fauna of the Himalayas. In short, just get on the road and have once in a lifetime experience. The event is open to one and all.
5) Team Firefox, are past participants and prize winners of Himalayan Rallies having done 20 Himalayan’s among themselves.
6) Entry fees details are on the website . You need to bring your own SUV/MUV for the event . Crew can be 2/3/4 in a car . After the release of the first creative just a few days ago, we have had an overwhelming response and we are sure of hitting the maximum 100 car mark for the event. So dont delay and register and reserve your spot for the event .
7) Past Winners Jayant Shah , Kenjiro Shonuzuka, Ramesh Khoda are coming for the event .
8) This drive through the picturesque and scenic Mountain range will be well covered on social media and expecting a large coverage of the event in print, social media, glossy magazines both sporting and non sporting.
For more details please visit our website www.nhmemorialdrive.com